About Me

I am in South America from October 3rd until December 17th! I am spending the month of October volunteering in a child care center in Quito, the capital of Ecuador. Then I have a month and a half to explore Ecuador and Peru!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

¡Hola de Ecuador!

¡Hola! ¡I am in Quito! I was on airplanes for most of the day yesterday and arrived in South America around 11. I did not find my pre arranged airport pick up right away, but a lovely girl named Veronica (my first friend in Quito) helped me to find where to go. I got a taxi to my host familys house on Sevilla. My cab driver was very patient with my language skills and we talked (as best I could) in Spanish the whole way to the house. My host mother, Aleja, was at the gate to meet me.

My host family is muy carinosa. The grandparents Aleja y Marco live with their daughter and her two children who are 16 and 11. They are a beautiful family and are very nice. Oh yes, and they have a dog...Tarzan! He is a German Shepherd and is very nice. The family is very patient and helpful with my Spanish speaking skills. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, but am by no means fluent. It is going to take some time and practice...

From the terrace of the house I can see mountains all around me. Quito spreads as far as I can see in the directions North and South. On the East and West Quito is bordered by mountains. Houses and terraces are scattered up the sides of some of the mountains. It is a beautiful city.

This morning I took a shower. Aleja warned me that the gas is turned off on Sundays so the water might be bastante frio (kindof cold). I decied to try it out anyways and ended up with a very cold shower! I might skip Sunday showers in the future. I went to the mall with Aleja and Pedro this morning and got some delicioso ice cream. Then we drove around the city a little and they showed me the historical part of the city and some mueseums for me to check out sometime.

When we got home we all ate lunch together. We had rice with stir fried veggies and chicken. Delicioso! After lunch I taked with Aleja and Kristina (my host sister) about places I need to visit in Ecuador. After looking up a few words in my diccionario and a few newly tabbed pages in my Lonely Planet book I have some good ideas of places to visit in Ecuador...you will have to wait until I visit them to hear about them! Then I brought out some family pictures. They loved them.

Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment